- Female Company Dancer
Company Chameleon is offering the exciting opportunity for an experienced female dancer to join our core artistic team from Summer 2018, in a full-time salaried position with the Company. The successful applicant will be required to re-locate to Manchester (if not already residing in the city).
Candidates must have at least two years’ experience working in a professional touring dance company. Extensive performance experience, familiarity and openness to different choreographic approaches and proficient teaching skills are all essential - this post will cover three main areas of responsibility:
- Rehearse and perform in Company repertoire (indoor venues / outdoor
- Assist Artistic Directors in choreographic/creative development of
- Actively engage in the delivery of learning and participation programmes
- Excellent contemporary technique and contact improvisational/partnering
- Minimum two years’ experience working in a professional touring dance
- Extensive performance experience and understanding of expectations on-
- Familiarity and openness to different choreographic approaches.
- Proficient teaching skills for a wide range of education work from young
people through to professional artists (primary school, secondary school,
college, university, community groups, professional
companies/independent artists etc.).
- Excel in working as part of a team.
- Good communication skills, to act as a positive advocate for the Company.
- Able to work independently, managing admin (e.g. emails) and schedule
- Reliable, with good time management skills.
- Passionate about the work Company Chameleon delivers.
- Received training at a recognised school or conservatoire.
- Understanding of working as part of a small core team.
- Travelled internationally previously.
- Aspiration to develop a longer-term working relationship with the same Company.
Building on the solid foundations created from ten years of producing dance theatre that has toured the world, the expansion follows an uplift in NPO funding from Arts Council England, plus, funding from Manchester City Council as Chameleon joins the city’s cultural portfolio.
The increase in capacity will support the Company in delivering bigger and bolder projects and in broadening and further developing its educational and dance development offer.
Co-Artistic Director, Kevin Edward Turner, said, “Through touring over the last ten years, we’ve extensively developed our experience, skills and knowledge as an international dance company. This is learning we want to give back to the city where the company was born. By increasing the number of dance development opportunities that we offer, we hope to engage more people across Manchester in dance and share and pass on the many benefits of dance as an artform and as a form of physical exercise.”
Founded by two male dancers, Chameleon has primarily been a male dance company over the last ten years, and as a company that creates socially relevant dance theatre, much of its repertoire explores male-related issues. The new female dancer will change this dynamic. Co-Artistic Director, Anthony Missen explains: “Employing a female dancer will introduce a totally new element into our work, creating a new artistic direction and whole new dynamic to what we do. This is artistically very exciting as it will create more opportunities for our work to develop.”
If you’re interested in being part of the Chameleon team and in what promises to be an exciting new era for the company, then you can find out more about the recruitment opportunities below.
- Female Company Dancer
Deadline for applications: Friday 4 May
Audition date: Saturday 19 May in Manchester
Download Application Pack: Female Company Dancer Job Pack